OK, so maybe not bears, more like bares. Not that I saw a lot of them tonight, but there were opportunities. I'm getting ahead of myself, though.

You know those days when everything seems to go wrong? That was tonight, only I was fortunate enough to not get affected--I just had to sit back and watch everyone else.

I got a call from my boss this morning telling me that my co-worker was sick, so I would be taking care of all of my girls alone tonight. No worries. I was to meet her at 3:30 at the north (Ellis) entrance of the University of Winnipeg. 

I was there by 3.

By 3:45, she still had not arrived with all of our supplies for the evening. Had I misunderstood the meeting place? I called her, left her a message (I assumed she was driving and stuck in traffic--it's been lousy all day!), and went back inside out of the icy cold wind to wait.

Five minutes later she called back. She was just in a car accident. Ouch. It's ten minutes before four, I am now expecting a carload of supplies in a vehicle I've never seen, I'm expecting another carload of food, and finally a busload of up to 16 girls with their infant children all at the same time. 

And I'm alone. Crap.

Well, the car of food arrives first, sporting a really flat tire. I'm amazed she made it to the university at all.

By this time, I was lucky enough to have one of the childcare workers arrive (Sherry, I heart you--you rock!) and she helped me lug up the food.

At the same, time the girls have arrived with all of their kids. Luckily, they knew just where to go and our room was unlocked, so they were able to find their way. 

Phew. Two crises averted.

We just need all the supplies, my really shaken up boss, and an air pump for the food vehicle (or a new tire--whichever is easier).

Next arrives a lovely black Kia (don't ask me what kind--it was black). It's transporting everything from my boss's car--along with my boss...and her boss. Next mission is to bring everything inside, and trust me, there's a lot.

Fortunately, however, there are a lot more of us now. So we somehow manage to get everything into the school. We've even got a trolley which my boss gets to push (that's a good thing, since she's looking really stiff and having trouble walking. Poor thing already has a bad knee, so she at least has something to lean on). We load up all the large bins filled with baby chairs, toys, classroom supplies, and a hundred other things. We made the mistake, however, of trying to push the cart in the elevator cart first. Don't we lose a box filled with papers and other miscellaneous tiny tidbits and random do-dads?

After a couple of minutes of scrambling, we manage to pick up all the scraps and get the cart finally into the small climbing box, person first. Much better. When the doors open again, we start unloading the elevator, only to lose another box. Just not our day.

As we are finally making our way to our classroom, my boss's boss gets a phone call--their office building has just been evacuated and is currently surrounded by firetrucks. Really? Didn't they just have a fire there a few months ago? Yup.

Nevertheless, the night must go on. We must feed the mothers and their children, who are uncharacteristically all crying (with the exception of one sweet and chubby little bundle of joy, whom I've never seen cry).

As we get everyone fed, it's apparent that my boss can't stay. She's having difficulty moving around and is still incredibly shaken.

Amazingly, though? After all the nightmares, we still managed to get through the night. Yes, the ladies were really rowdy, the babies cried a lot, and a lot of diapers had to be changed (hence the "bares"), but we survived. We even discovered the evacuation was a false alarm (another phew). 

The best part? I didn't have to wait 40 minutes to catch my bus home--I was out early and home almost an hour earlier than usual. That left me more than enough time to enjoy the King of the Ring tournament on Raw: All Hail King Sheamus!

Leave a Reply.